Saturday 30th. At night went and got 3 Bunhill Row, sold to Mr. Cline, St. Thomas’s Hospital.
3 bodies resurrected and sold to Cline at St Thomas’s Hospital.
Bunhill Row is possibly another name for Bunhill Fields (from Bone Hill Fields), one of the oldest burial grounds in the city and one of the only ones remaining from this time to this day (it’s close to Old Street in Islington). On some of the older maps of the city, the ground is referred to as Tindall’s (or Tyndall’s) Ground (after the Tindall/Tyndall who took the lease for the ground after it had been first designated as an area of burial but never consecrated). It was much used by non conformists.
According to Isabella Holmes, however, there was no entrace to Bunhill Fields from Bunhill Row, with it’s only gate being in the city road, and that Naples could possibly be referring to the Quaker burial ground in Checker Alley, where according to her “100 years earlier, much trouble was occaisioned by body snatchers”. According to Isabella Holmes entries regarding this place in The London Burial Grounds, the ground had been aquired in 1661 and was enlarged several times in it’s life, and was chiefly used by the friends of the Peel and Bull-and-Mouth division.
The Mr Cline referred to is the great Henry Cline, Astley Cooper’s Master, who actually resigned his offices at some time in early 1812, after which time he resigned and was succeeded by his son, also Henry Cline.